Monday, March 16, 2009

Frequent Breaks

I have been testing with breaks during study, and got some great results which works for me, and maybe also for you!


I heard about frequent breaks on the Wired Study Tips podcast and I've been thinking about it. How did I use breaks, and how do I want to use them?

How did I, and most of the students, use them?
We use our breaks as 'way-out' 'Finally, BREAKTIME!' including playing some video games, chatting on an instant messenger, making the best origami figures ever. And we forget the time and we waste another half an hour.

How should we use it?
As relaxation. Give your brain some time to process it all. And yes, we need to do some complete other things than what we did. That origami figure isn't bad. But don't do it too long. 

I have breaks every half an hour. Just set a timer, and after 30 minutes, I stop studying and do something else. After 5 minutes doing something else, I start studying again. And after 4 of those sessions, it's lunch time, or any eating time, which means a break for like, 15-30 minutes.

What to do on a break?
Well, you need to do something different than the subject. If you studying the industrial revolution of China, don't read an article about the industrialisation of China, but read an article about flying fishes!

Instead of reading, there are a lots of things you can do.
  • Cleaning your room. Jessica finds it usefull, and I agree with her. Not only something which doesn't require any thoughts, but also usefull, for if your girlfriend is coming over!
  • Get some tea. That is what I do most of the times, get a cup of tea, zipping a bit, and start studying again!
  • Just stare out of the window. Empty your mind, daydream a bit and get some fresh air. Lovely.
So, study for 30 minutes, stare for 5 minutes and study again for 30 minutes. When you got the routine, it's really easy!
Good luck, and, don't be afraid to share your thoughts about this subject with me!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the plug, Stefan!

Cody (studyprof.com and Wired Study Tips)