Monday, January 5, 2009

Quoting: Anatole France

"Man is so made that he can only find relaxation from one kind of labor by taking up another."
The Quote comes from Anatole France who is a French novelist.

I really agree. I always find that, when I finished my homework, I'm going to blog (well, not always, like now), going to read a book or going to run (should start doing that again..). But I never really rest, or is watching tv something like rest? But often I plan that time; 'Finish my homework before 10, so I can watch tv'. So is it rest?
Why is that? That human beings, at least the modern human being, always wants to do something all the time? I can't go to bed at 8 pm, it is like wasting time to me. Why?
Can't I have normal rest? Can't I just relax?
Yes I can, I can just watch a movie, lying (spelled correct? can you confirm?) on my couch. I should do that more often.
But when I do, I feel like 'wasting time' again. 'I have to do so many things, and what I'm going to do, watching a movie'.

I like it to over see my habits like this.
Have you the courage to look at your habits once a time? What do your for 'relaxation', do you also take up another labor, or do you really 'relax'?

Monday Quoting Day. Number 4 already! See my post from the other weeks: firstsecond and third.
If you like this post, why don't you subscribe to the reader? 

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Have the courage to follow your dreams said...

Interesting post Stefan. I think as a society we are so attuned to doing something, think about it, our parents and teachers always scold us for sitting there idly. We have become conditioned I think. However, recently I did as you suggested, really look at my habits. For example, I've made it a requirement to sit and do nothing for 20 mins a day. Other "relaxing activities" include wild daydreaming and enjoying nature (my favorite).

What kind of relaxing activities would you suggest? What do you find works for you